Then I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. My symptoms became so severe that I turned into a semi-invalid who rarely left the house. I had severe pain in multiple muscles and joints, frequent bouts of spiking pain in my knees, elbows, and feet, pain that increased with changes in the weather, pain so severe it woke me up at night, constant fatigue, difficulty completing even the simplest tasks of daily living, loss of focus, an inability to concentrate, and feelings of hopelessness.
- Lack of Information. For years, I didn’t know about the dangers of eating processed food full of toxic chemicals. In the past, this information was hard to find. Commercial food manufacturers certainly weren’t telling anybody. Now, the truth is everywhere. I logged online, typed keywords into my search engine, and hundreds of articles about the dangers of eating processed food popped up within seconds. I find new info every day in news reports and on social media. I can’t use being uninformed as an excuse anymore.
- Habit. I was used to eating processed food. It seemed simpler to keep on eating it than to change my customary food routine. I drank soda and stuffed my mouth with packaged candy, cookies, and chips because it was what I was used to doing. I liked the taste, the convenience, and the familiarity.
- Disbelief. Even after I had the information and read every article and book about the harm processed food causes our bodies, I just didn't want to accept that this could be true. I’d rather think there was some other cause for being so sick. I’d rather get a new prescription, pop a pill, find a new doctor, or hope for a miracle cure. It was hard to believe that I possessed the power to improve my health by changing my lifestyle.
- False Sense of Trust. I told myself that if an item was available at my local supermarket or nearest big box store, it must be safe to eat. Nothing could be further from the truth. Giant food corporations have only one motivation for producing processed food products. And it is not our well-being. It is profit. Read the book Salt, Sugar, Fat by Michael Moss for an eye-opening look into the murky world of commercially manufactured food.
- Unwillingness to Change. Even after I knew the truth and believed the truth, it took a while to decide to change my lifestyle. I didn’t want to give up soda or packaged cookies or convenience foods that come in boxes. I didn’t want to stop eating things I had consumed for years. I didn’t want to completely change the way I eat.
What about you? Will you make excuses like I did for years? I hope you decide to make lifestyle changes instead. I hope you won’t let processed food full of toxic ingredients rob you of your potential to live a healthy life that is full of hope, promise, and possibilities.
Find out more about the hazards of eating too much processed food, healthy living tips, effective strategies to improve fibromyalgia symptoms, methods to reduce toxic chemical exposure from common household products, and recipes and resources for creating a personalized healthy living plan in my new book, Practical Priorities for Fibromyalgia Recovery. Now available in paperback and eBook versions at amazon.com. Buy your favorite version today. Buy Kindle eBook. Buy Paperback.